Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Advise on submerged rocks - fish hide outs.

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
My local pond store practically threatened to kill me if I put rocks
on the bottom of my pond saying I would never control the algea, but
several of you are talking about doing just that for hiding places
(which is what I originally thought too) any comments?

snip

There is a difference between a few nicely placed 'rocks' and a layer of
gravel or river rock. A bedding of small rocks provides lots of nooks and
crannies for plant matter to rot in. BTW, I despise sentences that end in
prepositions. IMHO, a bedding of rock looks nice, and I think the rotting
crannies theory is a bit overblown. I did have areas of pea gravel in my VF
to keep some pots standing upright, and I can tell you...it turned out to be
a mess, and would never do it again.

OK, so back to your point...A few big rocks in your pond will look nice,
natural and give your fishes a place in which to hide. HA, foiled that
prepisition!

--
BV.
Dangling his participle over ponds everywhere.