Old 30-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default total absence of worms...

The message
from (Julie) contains these words:

Jane Ransom wrote in message :
Just check you don't have any New Zealand flatworm first, or any worms
you introduce will be consumed by them anyway

I found a flat worm today. I did not know what it was until I saw this
post and looked it up. It was definately a flat worm and I tossed it
back into the garden before I knew what it was. (Tried to go back and
find it...but like a needle in a haystack is the task:-( )Now I will
be on the look out for them.

My question is this.....are we supposed to report the finding of a
N.Z. Flatworm to anyone in particular.(snip)
I am in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland has the highest UK population of them iirc. They like
a mild but damp climate.

I reported mine to someone in Dundee, can't remember the details but
found on the web. I'm not sure of he was collating numbers for the whole
UK or just Scotland.

Also from a website...be careful how you move them because their
(copious) slime is supposedly harmful to human skin (they slather it
over their prey to predigest it, yuk).

Janet