Old 31-03-2004, 04:21 PM
chaz

Default Aloe Plant Propogation

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
.. .
That is true for Aloe species that branch but Aloe candelabrum isn't one

of
them. That species can only be propagated from seed. If your plant does
branch, it is misidentified or a hybrid. Aloe is a very large genus with
almost 500 species and many hybrids and you cannot generalize information
for all of them.

Or you are wrong...................which is most likely the case

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 02:36:53 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 02:12:26 GMT, "chaz" wrote:

I have an aloe candelabra that I would like to propagate into several
plants.

If I snip off one of the "arms" will it root? If so, what method

should
use?

If you use just a leaf, I doubt you will get that to root. If you are
referring to a sucker (that you call an "arm"), that should work. A
well-established aloe in a pot will send out suckers (young shoots)
that form a cluster of plants. Cut away the suckers with a sharp
knife as close to the main stem as possible. The sucker usually does
not have roots, but pot it up and they will grow their own roots.
Avoid fertilizing the sucker for at least a year.

I divided an aloe (not candelabrum) that had been living in a 4" pot
for a l*o*n*g time and potted up 14 separate plants! The places to
separate were fairly clear, once I got the plant out of the pot. (It
wasn't my plant.)

According to what little information is available from searching on

"Aloe thraskii" propagation

and

"aloe caldelabrum" propagation"

they may be propagated from what are variously called 'offsets',
'pups' or 'branches', and from seed.