Old 31-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] Back Budding

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Griffin"
Does anyone know if san hose juniper backbuds easily.
If it does what can i do to encourage it this spring
Ben

--------------------

It is my experience that San Jose are pretty tough and can be made to
backbud just as procumbens can; by cutting back hard (but leaving healthy
foliage). I don't think that it would be good to cut back hard on the
entire tree, but rather in stages, different parts of the tree at different
times, each time allowing for recovery (and fertilizing a LOT beforehand).

Often, simply wiring tightly can induce new buds on the interior of branches
(but this also leaves scars from the tight wire).

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++