Old 01-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Tony Karp

Default Help identify this weed/plant/flower/whatever

"SugarChile" wrote:

Looks like henbit to me. See:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/lamam.htm

Define "problem" 8-) I've got bits of it here and there, and I find it
sort of pretty in a small way. It gets mowed along with the rest of the
plants, including grass, that live in my lawn, and I don't notice it much
after that. Not worth getting excited about, IMO. It seems to confine
itself to the lawn, and doesn't annoy me by showing up very often in the
flower beds, which I do keep weed-free.

Cheers,
Sue

Thanks for the quick response. I went to the page you referenced, and there's
another weed on the same page, called a purple deadnettle that looks closer to
my mystery weed.

I googled "deadnettle" and found more pictures that look like my weed. The
giveaway is the leaves -- mine has layered, triangular leaves, while the henbit
has more circular leaves.

Take a look at the comparison between these to plants at the URL you gave me
(and http://www.techno-impressionist.com/weed1.htm ), and let me know me what
you think.

As for my plans, the lawn is about an acre and a half, and I was hoping to turn
it into a meadow, requiring minimum effort to maintain and zero chemicals,
mostly because we have a well.

At this point, the deadnettle is just in patches, perhaps 20 feet across, and
in shaded areas. I like this effect, just as long as it doen't try to take over
the lawn.

--
Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp
Techno-Impressionist Museum: http://www.techno-impressionist.com