Old 01-04-2004, 10:02 AM
SugarChile

Default Help identify this weed/plant/flower/whatever

I think you're right, it probably is deadnettle. Still not a big deal, IMO.

Your meadow idea sounds great. Keep us updated on how that turns out!

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"Tony Karp" wrote in message

Thanks for the quick response. I went to the page you referenced, and

there's
another weed on the same page, called a purple deadnettle that looks

closer to
my mystery weed.

I googled "deadnettle" and found more pictures that look like my weed. The
giveaway is the leaves -- mine has layered, triangular leaves, while the

henbit
has more circular leaves.

Take a look at the comparison between these to plants at the URL you gave

me
(and
http://www.techno-impressionist.com/weed1.htm ), and let me know me
what
you think.

As for my plans, the lawn is about an acre and a half, and I was hoping to

turn
it into a meadow, requiring minimum effort to maintain and zero chemicals,
mostly because we have a well.

At this point, the deadnettle is just in patches, perhaps 20 feet across,

and
in shaded areas. I like this effect, just as long as it doen't try to take

over
the lawn.

--
Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp