Old 01-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Shiva

Default I think I did a B-A-A-A-D thing ...

Charles Perry wrote:

Shiva wrote:

I have one hybrid rugosa, Hansa...

...How much damage did I do?

Probably just cosmetic damage. Hansa and her close Rugosa
cousins like to be let alone, at least in my Northern climate.
The finest specimin of Hansa that I have ever seen was growing
unattended on the grounds of an abandoned building on the shore
of Lake Superior.

You know, Charles, I think part of the problem
with mine is that it just gets too hot here
for it to be happy. Larry, another poster here,
says his stays in bloom and is care free. Mine
blooms once then squeezes out a few while looking
really ugly--lots of brown leaves, though I
baby it.

In my own garden, I had some rugosa bushes that did quite well on
30 years of neglect until I decided that it was time to give them
attention.

Good to know.I love the wrinkly foliage and the blooms
on this one, but I'm just not sure it is a hot weather
rose. It is only maybe in its third year now, so I'll
give it more time and try not to hack on it.