Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
McQualude

Default How do you prune severely overgrown bushes?

"SugarChile" said:

No offense, but that's a bit like asking "My car is making a funny
noise, should I add some oil?" 8-)

I don't get the analogy, but I'll take your word for it.

Before you go whacking away at things with a chainsaw, it would be
good to identify what kind of shrubs they are.
Are they evergreen or deciduous?

deciduous, but evergreen in this zone (7-8)

Do they flower, and what do the flowers look like?

I don't remember.

How big are the leaves, how are they shaped, and how are they
arranged on the branches?

mature leaves are 2.5" long, they are compound leaves, have a small
stem and grow opposite on the main stem

The simple identification book I have identified them as white ash, but
they are not ash trees.

I'm wondering if it is a variety of privet. The characteristics seem to
match and they appear similiar at a glance.

Or, you can just go at it with the chainsaw. One of my neighbors
does. And he's appalled that I pay someone to change the oil in my
lawnmower instead of servicing it myself. Different strokes, and all
that.

I don't think I could kill these things without the use of poison. They
grow practically year round, probably a few inches a month and probably
2 feet a month in spring and fall.

I might just let them go... really, how big could they get? If they are
privets they would be nearly full grown.
--
McQualude