Old 31-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death)

"David J. Bockman" wrote:

The most recent clearcutting is a little less than a mile from my home, a
gorgeous tract of rolling wooded hills about 40 acres or so in size.

snip

Perhaps most egregious of all, just at the edge of the property line sits
(now sat) a huge old red oak, 300+ years old, approximately 8 feet in
diameter at eye level.... they cut that down a week ago.

It will all be raw, terraformed clay in another week, ready for
construction.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Same thing going on where I live, David. Orange County is the fastest growing area
in NY State because of the proximity to NYC.

I have an elderly parishoner, a retired farmer, who has given me permission to
collect on his 180-acre farm that has been in his family for 250 years. He has
Parkinson's Disease, and knows he won't live forever. He said I may as well have
some of the trees, since he realizes that after he's gone the whole thing will
undoubtedly be developed. His beautiful farm is surounded by McMansions.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: