Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Rubber Mulch ???

Peter wrote:

Went to the local Home and Garden Show this weekend..... one product that
seemed to have value was "rubber mulch" which was manufactured out
of recycled tires.

It got me to look just because I think anything that uses old tires is
worth looking into.

-snip why it is good-

The area which I'm thinking of using this mulch is a plant bed in front of the
house.... the area is 6' by 25'.

According to their site, buying direct from them it would cost you
about $150 plus shipping to do that area 1 1/2" thick. Seems *really*
expensive to me for something that;
Can't be tilled in when I change the design. . .
.. . . adds no nutrients to the soil
.. . . is unproven as to color stability-- and that could look pretty
ugly in a couple years

-snip-
So despite the fact that on a hot zone 8 day (temperatures of 105'),

.. . . does nothing to cool the beds on a hot day . [further north, the
heat holding capacity of rubber might be a plus. Zone 8 I think
you're more likely to benefit more from a cool mulch]

the front yard
yard may smell like a car tire.... and that I will not be able to turn over this bed
again....... Are there any downsides to using this product under these circumstances??

Thanks !!!

http://www.rubberificmulch.com/

I'm still intrigued though--- I hope my neighbor tries it out.g

Jim