Old 01-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Sharon Capps

Default New member

Theo wrote:
Welcome to the group.

As far as fertilizers I think the recommendation
for a long time on this group has been to use time
release pellet fertlizers like osmocote.
The other recommendation is to go to fish emulsion.
If you can get over the stinkiness (which just lasts a day)
I highly recommend it. I only have to feed 2-3 times a year.

--
Theo

Thank you Theo. I read earlier about using compost and then put alfalfa
meal, epson salts, blood meal and osmocote time release on top of the
compost. Water in with water and fish emulsion. Do you do this all at the
same time or spread it out? Would this much stuff harm new plantings?
Also, what kind of things are used for mulch and how deep do you apply it?
I was told in very cold climates that I should plant the bud union about
an inch under ground. Is this correct or should the bud union be above
ground? I guess that is more than enough questions for now. Thanks again
Theo for the welcome.
Sharon in MN

in KC Z5

"Sharon Capps" wrote in message

Hello, my name is Sharon and I live in MN zone 4 is what they say. I am
new to roses and have purchased a few roses from Veseys and I am awaiting
their arrival. I bought Therese Bugnet, F. J. Grootendoorst, Topaz Jewel
and Kaleidoscope which are Rugosas and I also bought Stanwell Perpetual.

bought two climbing rose, Henry Kelsey and William Baffin. I understand
that they are all easy to grow. Is this the truth or just a marketing
ploy? I also read that Rugosas do not like to be sprayed with

insecticides

or liquid fertilizer. Can a person put a liquid mixed fertilizer around
the base after watering or should you water it in? Thanks for any help

and

I sure do love this group. I have been reading for about a month now.
Sharon in MN