Old 31-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Dave Stegink

Default [IBC] Killing little white spiders?

I have a big spider plant in a pot that I keep in my bonsai area. (Most
of my indoor trees are tropicals and I keep them under lights.) For some
reason, I have a huge infestation of little translucent white spiders that
seem to be making their home in the spider plant, but they travel amongst
all my trees and spin little webs everywhere. They are about 1/2" long.
I'd estimate there are 1000+ of them in the area. I've removed literally
hundreds of them with my shop vac, but they keep coming back since they
seem to be prolific hatchers.

Obviously no one will be able to diagnose what kind of spiders they are
without a picture or more info, but I'm wondering if there is a
tree-friendly spider killing mixture that people can suggest? I have not
tried anything yet on these, but soapy water hasn't worked in the past on
other spiders I've had. I have some chrystanthemum-based pyrethrins
insecticide spray, but it has caused some defoliation and leaf darkening
when I've had to use it in the past for mites.

Thanks!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++