Old 01-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Siouxzi

Default Time to put down diazinon?

I agree, Wes. But controlling the beetles on our vegetable garden is
not such a big problem. They damaged the grape vines but Sevin dust
did the trick on them.

It's the lawn... the beetle grubs and the moles have caused grass to
die and chickweed/moss/other stuff to take over.

Baine, we do live surrounded by woods, and I'm very willing to grin
and bear the moles and grubs and patchy lawn, but hubby is not!

Cheers
Sue

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:46:53 GMT, wrote:

In article , Siouxzi wrote:
Thanks, Robert. and Wes I am going to insist that we not use it--it
scared me even before I read this stuff. We've got little puppies
playing in the yard right now.

So now the question is... what do we do about the Japanese beetles??
The milky spore is not working--and that stuff cost a bloody fortune,
BTW. I think part of our problem is clay and lack of good drainage,
but it's just not feasible to fix that entirely.

Remember treating your own yard is not a solution. You are surrounded
by yards that are not treated. Sevin dust will keep them back. Even the
beetle bait will not work unless everyone uses it. In fact it may
attract more to your yard. If I remember the milky spore takes a few
years to get to the whole yard. But if you have a pretty yellow flower
the beetle that hatched in your neighbors yard will head straight for
for it.
I have heard some people just go out with a bucket of soapy water and
shake the plants causing most of the beetles to fall in the water and
drown. If you spread a tarp then you could catch more and put in the
water. The are clumsy and fall off a plant easily.

Sue

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:19:21 GMT, "Robert"
wrote:

and specifically this pdf:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/op/diazinon/water.pdf

Robert

"Siouxzi" wrote in message
The japanese beetles destroyed a lot of our garden and lawn last year,
and we put down milky spore (expensive, ouch!) but it hasn't kicked in
yet, judging by the grubs that I have found whenever I turn over a log
or dig under the turf. And our lawn has become thin and full of
chickweed, not to mention moles.

Hubby is insisting on putting diazinon on the grass. The bag says
apply in 'late spring' --is it time?

I'm worried about my dogs... how long do I have to keep them off the
grass?

Thanks
Sue