Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Inge Jones

Default Suitable bagged soil for fern

In article ,
says...
Hi Inge,
I use 'Levington's Soil Improver and Mulch Peat Free'. It is an organic
soil conditioner made from composted bark (from renewable sources). It is
great in my woodland garden! I also use it mixed with John Innes No.2 for
many other applications.

After you've topped up your shade bed - and before planting your ferns -
allow the soil to settle or tread it to remove air pockets, otherwise it
will settle anyway after you've planted, and the bed will look sunken.

If you're becoming a fern fancier, you'd better start a compost heap and a
leaf-mould heap. Either will provide you with humus-rich material.

Spider

Thanks Spider, I'll almost certainly be able to get those at Wyevale. I
suppose I could also gather up the leaves dropped from the street trees
if I can get in before the roadsweeps do. I'm intending to publish my
garden photos soon, and I shall be inviting people to suggest where I
can put a compost heap without ruining the look of the garden (-: