Old 01-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default How deep can ground elder survive?

In article ,
Stephen Howard writes:

| Much as I try to avoid using chemicals, I've found that Ground Elder
| is such a thug that it practically sneers at anything less than being
| nuked.

I find it very easy to get rid of - IF I can clear the ground.
If it has something to shelter under, it is impossible to remove.

Yes, it is easier in light soil than in heavy, but I reclaimed
some heavily infested 'grassland' and planted potatoes. My
initial digging was tedious, but only a little survived that,
and none survived the potatoes and hand pulling. One year,
a good crop, no chemicals, and no ground elder.

Also, I piled up some earth with a lot of it in, and it did NOT
come through from below 1' down. Bindweed, on the other hand,
laughs at 3' of soil :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.