Old 01-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Victoria Clare

Default How do I attract butterflies

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:37:55 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes

The young shoots of nettles are supposed to be a fairly good leaf
vegetable when cooked, having the great virtue of being available
in early spring when little else is.

Yes, they are good - they're a lot more tasty and substantial than some
of the other leaves offered as a 'spinach substitute'. But your finger
pads feel a bit strange after you've picked a pound or so.

From a post in 1999..

Nettle Soup

(snip)

Recipe taken from Wild Foods, by Roger Phillips.

Try with caution, folks: I did, and I & my mum & sister thought it truly
revolting. Even the dogs refused it. YMMV.

If you fancy munching weeds/wildflowers, I do recommend ground elder and
ramsons - both can be used as a pizza topping or cooked in butter, and much
nicer than nettles.

Victoria