Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Theo

Default New member

Thank you Theo. I read earlier about using compost and then put alfalfa
meal, epson salts, blood meal and osmocote time release on top of the
compost. Water in with water and fish emulsion. Do you do this all at

the
same time or spread it out? Would this much stuff harm new plantings?
Also, what kind of things are used for mulch and how deep do you apply it?
I was told in very cold climates that I should plant the bud union about
an inch under ground. Is this correct or should the bud union be above
ground? I guess that is more than enough questions for now. Thanks again

That sounds more like a planting fert. advice.

They all do different things. The Epsom salts supposedly
encourage blooming and basal growth.

The blood meal legitimately claims to put phosphorus where the plant
can get it at but it has to be place at the bottom of the hole
before planting as soil percolation weakens its effectiveness.

Osmocote is good but needs to be scratched in and its been some years since
I could get near the base of some of my roses with out it becoming
a blood sport.

No, I've held my nose and completely converted to fish emulsion.
Sounds like a shameless plug but it does have all the nutrients
including all the micro stuff in a form the plant can readily absorb and
it breaks down slowly over months.

Yes excessive chemical fertilization will kill immature/establishing bushes.
Typically you apply the fert before watering in the bush. 2-3 gallons
should do it.

Mulch. Ah yes! reams have been written on this subject and
there doesn't seem to be any consensus. Everything from wood chips
to straw to peanut shells to cocoa shells to stone chips to char coal
to Lucerne Hay(don't ask me what that is!!) has been promoted here.
I'm sure they all work.

I grow about 130+ roses and what has been cheapest for me is to
drive down to the city mulch station and pick up a free load of
lightly composted wood chips in my truck. Yes there is some plastic
stuff and some stones in there but after a rain shower you can't
differentiate between this and a $3 a bag stuff @ home depot.

You live in a considerably colder region than mine
so please take my advice with a pinch of salt. Some one in your region
may know better.

Bud union depth has also been debated with no clear consensus. There
are positives and negative to burying the bud union.

My opinion is roses are too expensive to loose to bud union death. So
I only grow own root roses that have no bud union. They grow a bit
slower the first year but trust me by the second year they will way overtake
any grafted roses you have.

Many roses fulfill these requirements. The Buck roses, the canadian
explorer/morden roses and some of Graham Austins creations come to mind.

I tend to be a Darwinian gardener. No weekly spray. No protection for
winter. Just water and fertilizer some grooming and trimming. If it fails
to thrive I get a replacement. All my roses fulfill these requirements.

Last year with great regret I put down a Red called Showbiz. I had
some sentiment attached to it but it was taking as much attention from me
as my other 130+ roses to keep it thriving.

There are thousands of roses that do just fine in our region. If you want
some
recommendations I can let you know what thrives for me.

--
Theo

in Kansas City Z5/Z6?