Old 02-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Rod

Default How much top soil

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:53:52 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

Ah but..... what about settlemnt after spreading? How much to allow for....?

You should know ;-) but for the op - thinking about this now could
save you some bother later. If you are going to be turfing up to a
kerb, path or 'mowing stone' you need to ensure that your finished
grass level after thorough firming will be a couple of inches above
that kerb or path. If it comes below then mowing and keeping a decent
edge becomes quite difficult. If you're only raising it by 2 inches
then I suggest buying enough soil to raise it by at least 3 inches
after you've firmed it and prepared your seedbed - I say seedbed
because turf needs similar preparation to seeding (something more
usually honoured in the breach, even by 'pros' who should know
better). A bigger settlement allowance will be needed for greater
depths of soil. It's best if you can allow a few weeks for preparation
and settlement rather than trying to get everything done all in one
go, that way you're more likely to get the soil level where you want
it.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply