Old 02-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Mike LaMana

Default Aphids

Safer soap. horticultural oil; high pressure water,...this is an easy one to
get rid of.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
I've better things to do than inspect each and every stem of my rose
bushes. Grandchildren for one and loads of other projects, theus the
need for a product that really works. I spent almost an hour 2 nights
ago squashing them by hand. I think my fingers found more thorns than
aphidsG.

Cereus-validus wrote:

How about using a wet rag to remove them by hand?

"Phisherman" wrote in message

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:55:25 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Looking for recommendations on a commercial product to rid my rose
bushes of aphids. Them little suckers are back alreadysigh. I've
tried a number of home remidies with little to no success, incl

spraying
them off with water - next?

I've tried various methods to eradicate aphids on my roses. I still
have a row of garlic planted that comes up every year, then falls over
into dormancy in the summer heat. Garlic may repel some things, but
it is not effective (in my case) against aphids. You could increase
the ladybug population, but this too can have limited effectiveness.
I use a rose systemic (either Ortho or Bayer) and these are very
effective and very easy to apply. If you don't like the use of a
systemic, you could use insecticidal soap or malathion but you will
need to reapply these from time to time. My biggest rose concern
right now is prevention of black spot!