Old 02-04-2004, 04:12 AM

Default My own experience with Lowes Outside Lawn and Garden lately

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:32:10 -0500, "madgardener"
wrote:
Hello friends,
Madgardener here. After putting my post from Garden Web here with responses
from others over there, I wanted to be more up front about this situation.
I'm not yet comfortable enough to be 100% up front over on GW.

snip
This is all I wanted to tell ya'll. And I ain't starting crap. I still work
for Lowes, but things have changed is all. I might eventually even change
that, but I;ll let you know if that happens. A garden update is coming soon.
thanks for letting me talk about these things. I appreciate it.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in a rainy, cold Fairy Holler overlooking
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Things do change. The first year that a Lowes was around here, I was
well satisfied with their plants. The next year I went back in the
spring, planning to do some early plantings from their stock and I was
shocked at the state of everything there. Plants laying on top of
each other, broken branches, dying, desiccated, etc. -- I bought no
plants from them. There was another Lowe's that opened a bit further
away, and their stock appeared to good so I did business with them. I
do use locals as well, but they are pricier.

This year I went back to the original Lowes and they appear to have
come back around to taking care of their plants. I saw a decent
selection of trees and shrubs at a good price. I'm still going to
look around in different stores but I'll probably be picking up some
of their stock.

On a related note, I had been disappointed at the decay and lack of
diversity of the Franks indoor plant sections lately. I was trying to
find some smaller stores that may carry indoor plants, but there is
really not a lot around here. Lowe's seemed to get a large selection
in recently, and the plants appear to be adequately maintained. By
adequate I mean that they should be OK once I get them home. The
plant labels are not at all accurate. Still, they do seem to be the
prime indoor plant store in the area, which may not say much about the
are or my ability to find stores. It seems strange to me that indoor
plants don't really seem to get a lot of play.

Swyck