Old 02-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Victoria Clare

Default How do I attract butterflies

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:31:33 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Try with caution, folks: I did, and I & my mum & sister thought it
truly revolting. Even the dogs refused it. YMMV.

What did you use for the stock base?
I knock this soup up every year round about now - even the kids love
it ( and kids aren't known for being 'into soup' ).

A bog-standard chicken stock from a cube, I think. Basically, it smelt
utterly gorgeous till we put the nettles in, then went utterly 'orrible.

If you fancy munching weeds/wildflowers, I do recommend ground elder
and ramsons - both can be used as a pizza topping or cooked in butter,
and much nicer than nettles.

Could get on with Ground Elder - I found the taste insipid...couldn't
quite place the flavour, but it seemed vaguely metallic.
I was disappointed - I really quite relished the thought of being able
to eat the damn stuff into extinction!

Odd - each to their own, I suppose. I'm not fond of strong-flavoured
vegetables such as cabbage, apart from garlicky/oniony ones. Oh, do like
pickled cabbage, but the flavour there isn't really from the cabbage. ;-).

Victoria