Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
JennyC

Default Ivy and stuff

"Paul Stephens" paulNO wrote in message
The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new patio I
have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the garden. I also
to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white flowers that seems to
stick and wrap itself around everything - is that bind weed?

Sounds like it.

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look better
than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the fence together,
which is pretty rotten!
Thnx Paul

You can be really brutal with it - it will come back

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Paul Stephens" writes:

| I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help.

The
| fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all

year
| round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
| rampant. How best can I treat this?

Yes, it's ivy. You can perfectly well ignore it if you want to.
Many people prefer it to a bare fence. What is the problem?
Do you want to grow something else, or what?
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You can prune it really hard to keep it in check.
But as Nick says, what is the problem with it?

Getting rid of it will be hard work :~)
Jenny