Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Ivy and stuff

"Paul Stephens" paulNO wrote in
:

The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new
patio I have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the
garden. I also to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white
flowers that seems to stick and wrap itself around everything - is
that bind weed?

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look
better than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the
fence together, which is pretty rotten!

I've found that it's good with ivy to try to define the space a bit. If
you have a strip of grass along in front of it that you can easily mow,
it can't come creeping out into your flowerbeds and lawn. Or I have once
place where I've put a line of slates on end, and just chop the ends off
when they come creeping over it.

You can also treat it like a hedge and just chop it back with a hedge
cutter. The cut-off bits will compost well if you can bung the odd load of
grass clippings in with them.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill