Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 AM
homer

Default I may have murdered my lawn..

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , homer
writes
hi
I've recently moved into a new house with a garden, which is a first for

me.
The lawn was in bad shape, mossy, bald patches, uneven growth, ( a bit

like
me actually). I was advised to use a lawn feed which would nourish and
revitalise whilst killing off the weeds. I think I may have sprinkled

out
too much because the grass first turned black and is now turning white.

The
lawn is now covered in black and white and green stripes due to my

uneven
sprinkling.
Half of the lawn stays in permanent shade and this half looks the worst.
Will the lawn recover from this and how can I help it

Yes, it will recover . . . eventually!!!
Just water it and mow what tufts there are on a high cut when it gets
too long and by the end of the summer you will have some grass
again!!!!!!!!! Then try top dressing it this coming autumn and next
spring you should be back to square one ))

Yes. A thing that is often forgotten is that lawns are a natural
ecology in the UK. Any open area in most of the country that is
close-grazed (or mown, the mechanical equivalent) for a year or
so will turn into a lawn. It really is that simple.

Of course, it won't be a FLAT lawn :-)

But the general rule for people worried about lawn damage is not to
worry, because most forms can be cured by simply carrying on as if
it had not happened. After a while (a few months, or a year or so)
the damage will have be repaired. There are, of course, exceptions
to this.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks everyone for your advice and reassurance. I wont be feeding it again
in a hurry!
I have been told that moss in lawn is caused by poor drainage, is this true
and how do you go about fixing this?

thanks