Old 02-04-2004, 04:23 AM
Jane Ransom

Default I may have murdered my lawn..

In article , homer
writes
I have been told that moss in lawn is caused by poor drainage, is this true

Not entirely!
It is caused by too much damp, certainly, but also a certain amount of
shade. And one thing about a damp lawn is that it stays green in a dry
summer when everyone else's has dried up and burned off!!!!!!!!

and how do you go about fixing this?

How well do you want it fixed?
Do you really want a bowling green or just a workaday lawn?

You could lay drainage pipes in your lawn provided there is somewhere to
drain the water to . . but if you are in a hollow, you are stymied

We have heavy soil and used to have plenty of moss every year.
The spousal unit started to spike it every autumn and give it a top
dressing (loam, peat and sharp sand). We thought it was having a good
effect until we had one exceptionally wet winter when all the moss came
back

Still, we haven't given up and weed/feed/mosskill every spring, scarify
a couple of times during the summer and spike/top dress every autumn. I
think the lawn is looking better but have come to the conclusion that,
in this country, we just have to learn to live with moss ((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.