Old 02-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Jim W

Default Ivy and stuff

Paul Stephens wrote:

Hi

I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
rampant. How best can I treat this?

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden1.jpg

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Paul

(I'm in Hertfordshire))

Just reading through the thread, looks like you're pretty well sorted..
Ivy is GREAT stuff, just very advantageous/successful, so much so that
it sometimes upsets humans

That said its an incredibly good air purifier (according to NASA
research) and a superb bird and bee plant (it flowers on its 'adult'
growth which is very different from the climbing spreading type..

It 'looks' like it may have gone arborescent (adult 'tree like' ) on the
tree.. Take a look at the leaves, and see if they look like this:
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/cou...rt400/juv1.jpg

If you did want to try and replace it with something more interesting,
why not introduce some 'cultvated' Ivies.. of which there is a wide
choice:

http://www.fibrex.co.uk/ and see Hedera Collection

Cheers

Jim