Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM
LeeAnne

Default New to gardening and very young

This is what I would do ....

Mark off the area you are thinking of planting in - take a hose or something
like that and get an idea of the outline of the plant bed. Feel free to
start small. Then, after you know where you want your plants, take a shovel
and mark out what you outlined w/the hose, know what I mean? Basically, dig
out an edge for your new flower bed. Then, dig out everything in the middle
of that, down about 6 or 8 inches, save the soil (in a wheel barrow or
something) and mix some other soil in w/it that you can get at a garden
center, maybe some top soil or soil w/some nutrients in it, like miracle gro
stuff. Also, you'll want some inexpensive edging to keep the grass from
growing back into your flower bed. You can buy rolls of it at Walmart and
the like, it's simple to use, stick it around the edge of your bed, and put
the dirt back in that you dug out. Voila, plant bed. Magazines, books,
etc., all have very useful plans and ideas and tips for starting from
scratch.

Now you have to figure out what to plant. This is where your local nursery,
a neighbor, parent, sibling, etc., can help. Are your mom or dad into
gardening? If you have a neighbor w/a flower garden, even if they are a few
streets over, go talk to them, introduce yourself, there's almost nothing a
gardener likes better than to talk plants and show some tricks to, and even
share plants that they've run out of room for. mmmmm, free plants! :-)
Also, lots of times there are local gardening clubs that have plant swaps,
etc.

Try to find plants that you like, put tall ones toward the back, shorter
ones toward the front. Look at the ID tags that come w/plants to see how
tall they grow, how far apart to plant, etc., if they need full or part or
no sun, that way they don't just fry or shrivel. Also, seeds may be the
less expensive way to start, but I like faster results myself ... buying
small plants at nurseries yields instant results and nowadays they're
inexpensive. Also, try to ask about pests that attack plants, if they're
easy to care for or require more work, etc., and if you're ever talking to
someone at a garden center that doesn't seem to know their butt from their
elbow, then go somewhere else.

Don't worry about doing anything wrong - my mantra is "If it grows, it
grows".

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of gardening - if you're
like most of us, you'll be running out of room for plants you buy or
inherit, lol.

LeeAnne

"noone" wrote in message
. ..
Hello. Long post sorry. Well the background is I am a teenager almost 18
now you know the age . I know little of what I have read so far since I
know nothing about planting. Still I don't know much at all. I have a
little area in the back of my house, a yard. I want to garden do

something
with that yard. It is a yard covered in grass in weeds we just cut it

when
it gets high. So its not a nice grass lawn but just a common grassy spot
hehe. Regular crud. Problem is I don't know where to start. I know I have

remove some grass I don't want to remove the whole thing I would get in
trouble with the folks. So I have to start with a small section.

I absolutely know nothing of terms I have read example mulch, spading,

etc.
I just want to see if maybe some nice people may help me get started in a
small project in my yard. My budget is really small lol. Maybe some

veggies
might be too tough. so there it is I do not know what to do and need
help.
AREA DESCRIPTION:
Its a small yard.
Seperated by a wooden fence but connected to the neighbors yard. Fence

runs
above the dirt. So its like a big lawn that was constructed then divided

by
a fence. But I have my share. Dont know if that matters.
Gets good sun out there. I am in South Florida. The dirt in the yard is
black.

If anyone can help a complete beginner I would really appreciate it

because
I would like to grow something and feel proud about it.