Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Theo

Default New member

It must be wonderful to work @ home. Sigh!
Do you intend to plant many more roses?

Heres a wonderful site by a guy who grows roses in Minnesota
http://homepage.mac.com/passepartoot/home/rosepage.htm

You can see we have a similar philosophy though he
does winter protect a bit. I'm too lazy to do even that.

Yes spring is wonderful. There is usually a
contest to see which rose buds and flowers first.

But it is also when my Cyclamen stop blooming
so that is sad.

The coldest I've recorded here is -15F. Though the record
is -20 F. So I will only recommend the bullet proof ones
that grow for me.

Absolutely cold hardy.

Lavender Lassie - pinkish
Compassion - Salmon
Guinevere - White
Apple jack - Pink (Buck rose)
Pearlie Mae - yellowish (buck rose)
Winter sunset - yellow (buck rose)
J.P.Connell - Yellow (Canadian tough rose)
Alba meidiland - white Bulldozer tough ground cover
New Dawn - pink (probably most popular rose in world)
Candelabra - Orange disease prone but really cold tough for a hybrid tea.
Alexander Mackenzie - Red Canadian. can't seem to get rebloom.

Some cold death but comes back strong.

Iceberg - Popular white.
B. Pink Iceberg - Pink sport really pretty.
Frontenac - Tough tough canadian red. excellent rebloom.

Just some that pop into mind.

--
Theo

in Kansas City Z5/Z6?

I would love some recommendations. I would say I am zone 3/4. I know we

can
get 30 below but not very often. You say that you do not provide any
winter protection for your roses? I also will follow your suggestion and
get some of the wood chips from the compost center at the same time I get

load of compost. Thanks for all the help. It is nice when a newbie can

get
some good answers and not feel dumb. I have always had to work out of the
home so gardening became something I did not get into. Now I work at home
and so I am more in tune with my yard and love to see the flowers start to
come up in the spring. Roses have always beens something I have wanted to