Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Charles Perry

Default New member

Sharon Capps wrote:

... I was told in very cold climates that I should plant the bud union about
an inch under ground. Is this correct...

More often than not many of the very hardy roses are sold on
their own root, particularly the Ag Canada roses such as Henry
Kelsey and William Baffin. If The roses are grafted, you should
definately plant the bud ubion at least three inches below ground
level. The rootstock varieties are not reliably hardy in MN and
if you don't plant them below the ground, You may lose the plant
in the first hard winter.

Regards,

Charles

--