Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Unique Too

Default I think I did a B-A-A-A-D thing ...

Shiva, I just read an article by Malcom Manners titled "Ultimate Easy Roses."
He lists eight favorites "with cast-iron constitutions that they are truly
carefree in our climate." I was very surprised to see R. rugosa rubra listed.
The article says it is the roots, not the tops that resent the heat. "Grafted
on Fortuniana.....it gets no diseases at all, blooms nearly constantly and is a
tight compact bush."
I don't know if the rugosas are routinely available grafted on any rootstock,
but after seeing photos of them in Suzy Verners book I think I'll start
looking.

You know, Charles, I think part of the problem
with mine is that it just gets too hot here
for it to be happy. Larry, another poster here,
says his stays in bloom and is care free. Mine
blooms once then squeezes out a few while looking
really ugly--lots of brown leaves, though I
baby it.