Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Ann

Default Need advice removing vinca minor

"Deb in AR" expounded:

I'm new to the NG and new to gardening, so I really could use some help
here. We've just moved into a house, and the previous owners planted vinca
minor in about 4 different places. It's starting to overtake some of the
shrubs, so we're taking it out to plant some perinialls. (sp?). Right now,
I'm just digging it up, by hand. My husband suggested tilling it up. I
don't think that will work, since these are small areas. I've surfed the
'net and the best thing I've found is just to dig it up. Am I missing
something? And do I need to dig up all those little-bitty-tiny roots, too?
Vinca minor is pretty, I'll admit, but when let go, like the previous owners
did, it takes over everything it sees! Am I on the right track to just dig
it up, or is there another way....without damaging the soil for the new
flowers to be planted. :-) Any advice would be appreciated.

You have to pull it, and pull it, and pull it (did I mention pull it?)
until it's gone. It'll resprout from runners below the soil. Get a
good garden claw and plunge it into where you see a central growth
point, use the claw to pull the rootball out, then follow the runners,
using the claw to pull each rooted piece as you go. It can be done,
but it's tedious.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA