Old 06-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Container gardening ideas

From: (UTVOLVET84)
Date: Fri, Apr 2, 2004 9:01 PM
Thanks. Any ideas for unusual containers?

One of the neat things is that there is really no end of possibilities for
'unusual' containers. I personally don't go for things that are too cute
(e.g., old boots, tea pots, and the like, although I'm sure I might like an
individual presentation in the right setting) because they detract from the
plantings, but I do like to look for large containers so that I can cut my
expenses. In the past I've used things like bushel baskets from fruit stands
(line them with plastic that has drainage holes punched through). Thoroughly
cleaned metal cannisters that have contained olives, olive oil or similar can
also be lined and have drain holes added. I've added a subtle verdigris effect
on the outside, and I must say they've looked stunning yet unobtrusive....and
most importantly, they're free and large enough for a pretty good planting.
Dumpster diving can get you some pretty cool things, if you have places nearby
that have interesting garbage.

Old trash bins (even plastic can be disguised with the right kind of paint) can
be ideal if you cut them down. Old-fashioned metal washtubs work well, look
subtle enough. Although it's not unusual, I've seen some pretty cool planting
effects in cinderblocks.

There are so many possibilities.......

Best,
Tyra