Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Please help - Weeping Fig dropping leaves

The solution is to take it back to where you got it and ask for a refund or
a replacement of something else.

"Shannon" wrote in message
Hi there,

I've been searching old posts, and this seems to be a common problem, but
I've yet to read an answer that corresponds exactly to my situation.

I purchased a weeping fig about 3 weeks ago. Plant itself is approx. 2

feet
high, and is composed of 4 stems (?) braided together with the leaves
bunched on top. The garden center warned me at the time that the plant
would drop a lot of leaves when I *first* brought it home. They said I
should water the plant every two days, but that it requires *lots* of
misting. At the time of purchase, it was in a 6" diameter plastic pot.
They said I did not have to re-pot it.

Two weeks ago, I did re-pot the plant into a ceramic, 8" diameter planter.
It sits in a bright area of the house, but not in direct sunlight, in a

warm
room. I have watered the plant faithfully every second day, and I mist it
all the time (5-6 times a day). But it is still dropping leaves -
approximately 10 per day. The leaves are dried up and shriveled when they
fall - I don't think there is a problem with pests. Is this normal? Is

it
just the time of year? Or am I giving it too much water/misting? How

much
water should I give it every second day and how much misting. Should I
fertilize the plant...if so, with what? I truly love this fig, and I want
to keep it healthy for a long time. I can't tell if new leaves are

growing
in replacement of the dropping ones...the plant looks as beautiful to me

as
the day I brought it home, but I just wanted some other opinions.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I am a complete neophyte when
it comes to gardening or caring for plants, so any and all information

would
certainly be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Shannon