Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Warren

Default Kaffir Lily is an offensive name

paghat wrote:

So anyone who wishes to clean the word "Kaffir Lily" out of their

personal
vocabulary because, hey, this is the world wide web, & it really is

like
hanging out at least partly in South Africa -- then for that choice I

say
"Ahu!", hooray!, how polite you are. But if someone just thinks it's

vulgar word in every context & nobody should use it anywhere ever who
isn't a racist, then to them I also say "Ahu!", stupid!

-paghat the ratgirl

Words are nothing but letters or sounds put together, depending on
whether you're writing or speaking. In and of themselves, those letters
or sounds are not offensive alone or together. Context makes them
offensive.

There is the context of the writer or speaker, and the context of the
reader or listener involved here. Some people are so offended when they
read or hear particular words that they can't or won't consider the
context of the writer or speaker.

My personal opinion is that our problems, in order of severity and
importantance a
1. Writers/speakers who intend their words to be offensive in
context,
2. Readers/listeners who are so offended by particular words that
they don't consider the writer/speaker's context,
3. Readers/listeners who misinterpret the writer/speaker's context,
4. Writers/speakers who don't take reasonable care to see that their
context is not easily misinterpreted to be offensive,
5. Writers/speakers and readers/listeners who aren't even aware that
they words could be offensive in certain contexts.

Unfortunately too many people focus on the least severe and important
situation. That means either the more severe and important issues have
been resolved (ha!), or they have nothing better to do than raise hell.
(Or perhaps they're not equipped to handle the more important issues,
and draw attention away from their inabilities by making such a big deal
over the less important issues.)

But it all still comes down to context. Words are just letters or
sounds. Context gives those words meaning. It is only once they have
meaning that they can be offensive.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html