Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Starlord

Default Need advice removing vinca minor

It's just like some grasses I can name, every little bit of root can
become a plant of it's own. May not show up real soon, but some day
you'll walk out and find your garden covered by it.

The Voice out in the High Mojave Desert

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Deb in AR" wrote in message
Ok, so what about pulling it up, then tilling the ground? Would

that take
care of it coming back in mass?

--
Deb in AR
A desert-rat at heart!

"Jim Voege" wrote in message

"Ann" wrote in message
"Deb in AR" expounded:

I'm new to the NG and new to gardening, so I really could use

some help
here. We've just moved into a house, and the previous owners

planted
vinca
minor in about 4 different places. It's starting to overtake

some of
the
shrubs, so we're taking it out to plant some perinialls. (sp?).

Right
now,
I'm just digging it up, by hand. My husband suggested tilling

it up.
don't think that will work, since these are small areas. I've

surfed
the
'net and the best thing I've found is just to dig it up. Am I

missing
something? And do I need to dig up all those little-bitty-tiny

roots,
too?
Vinca minor is pretty, I'll admit, but when let go, like the

previous
owners
did, it takes over everything it sees! Am I on the right track

to just
dig
it up, or is there another way....without damaging the soil for

the new
flowers to be planted. :-) Any advice would be appreciated.

You have to pull it, and pull it, and pull it (did I mention

pull it?)
until it's gone. It'll resprout from runners below the soil.

Get a
good garden claw and plunge it into where you see a central

growth
point, use the claw to pull the rootball out, then follow the

runners,
using the claw to pull each rooted piece as you go. It can be

done,
but it's tedious.

Lest all fear to plant vinca minor as a result of this thread, we

have a
variety that spreads via above-ground stems. It is very easy to

control.
As a matter of fact, I've had to give it a bit of a helping hand

to spread
little faster.

Jim

---