Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
RWL

Default Aconite - Snow Drops didn't come up

I planted some Aconite bulbs last September and nothing has come up
yet here in central PA. The crocuses have been up for 10 days or so
already, and I thought there would at least be some green tips showing
from the Aconite.

The bulbs were purchased in late August and given to me. They were a
commercial product in a bag, but I'm wondering if they were old stock.
The bulbs were somewhat wrinkled like large hard raisins, unlike the
smooth bulbs of a crocus or daffodil.. Is that how Aconite bulbs are
supposed to look or were they dried out and left over stock from the
previous season?

It wasn't convenient to dig a trench around the tree where they were
planted, so I pounded a bar slightly larger than the bulbs into the
soil to make each hole, dropped each bulb in its hole and then poured
water down / over the holes to seal them / loosen the soil, then
covered the holes back up with mulch. This method has worked for me
in the past with daffodils and crocuses, so I assumed it would work
with the Snowdrops. They were planted about 2-3" deep.

I doubt that squirrels got them, since we don't have any bold enough
to venture to the front yard (it's a long way from their natural
habitat over open ground) and the mulch wasn't disturbed.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******