Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM
redclay

Default Growing hibiscus in Washington DC

Natty_Dread wrote in message
Hi gardeners -- I'm in Alexandria, VA and would like to grow a hibiscus in
my yard, parts of which get very good sun most of the year. I'm looking

for
any feedback from folks in my area about your experiences growing hibiscus
outside. I planted a Rose of Sharon a few years ago that died the first
winter I planted it, so I'm wondering if it's possible to grow hibiscus as

perennial here or if I just killed the plant with my rudimentary gardening
skills.

Any comments or ideas would be most helpful. Thanks!

Rose of Sharon grows just fine in your area, maybe you got a weak one. Find
some more and plant them in May, feed them some 10-10-10 and put a layer of
mulch around them in October. Check out the Parks site or your local
nursery for something called a perennial hibiscus, only name I know. It has
large red (6" dia) flowers that form seed pods and it easy to grow. Look
for anything in okra.