Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
zxcvbob

Default Kaffir Lily is an offensive name

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from Darren Garrison contains these words:

I do not CARE if the word is offensive in some distant country in some
way that is not meaningful in my own country. I don't CARE if the
word "kaffir" is a slur against ethnic Bantus in South Africa, because
I'm never going to go to South Africa and am most likely never going
to meet a Bantu.

This is an international newsgroup with contributors from other
countries and many races.

Janet

But what is your point? No one here has said they were personally
offended, only *vicariously* offended. Not one single Bantu has spoken up
on this issue.

People in Quebec City find the entire English language offensive. Maybe we
should switch to French to avoid offending their sensibilities.

Sincèrement,
Bob