Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Pressure treated wood -- ACQ?

Father Haskell wrote in
:

hollenback wrote:

Things you should be aware of with the new ACQ lumber.
1. There are different grades of it. You should be looking for wood
labeled for ground contact.

None of it is suitable for ground contact. Use plastic or concrete
footings.

2. The copper will corrode galvanized or zinc plated screws and
nails. If you expect it to last you will need stainless steel
hardware or at least double dipped galvanized.

Exactly. I've been told to expect old style hardware to corrode to
nothing in under 6 months.

aside from the fastener issue, madgardener said something about the
fungicide on some new lumber needed to be washed off or something about
rotating stock after 4 months (not an exact quote). I thought that was
kind of strange.