Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Kaffir Lily is an offensive name

The message
from zxcvbob contains these words:

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

The message
from Darren Garrison contains these words:

I do not CARE if the word is offensive in some distant country in some
way that is not meaningful in my own country. I don't CARE if the
word "kaffir" is a slur against ethnic Bantus in South Africa, because
I'm never going to go to South Africa and am most likely never going
to meet a Bantu.

This is an international newsgroup with contributors from other
countries and many races.

Janet

But what is your point? No one here has said they were personally
offended, only *vicariously* offended.

My point is, that it would be polite for Darren to show a little care
for the feelings of other posters than himself; even if they live
somewhere else.

For the record, I am offended by the use of racist slurs.

Janet.