Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Cicero_wnb

Default seedlings grow poorly, many greenish spots. What to do?

You ask about which kinds of seedling. The answer is: all kinds.
Vegetables, herbs, flowers. A little of everything. We've provided
common conditions to all, without paying attention to packet
instructions (except for seed depth). But they seem to require similar
conditions, so even if we are off for this or that plant, if we are
doing things "about right" the results should be generally good. As I
said, we already discovered two glaring errors, both of which have
been corrected (temperature has been lowered, air ventilation has been
added).

We are growing the plants in our basement, with fluorescent lights.
That part seems to be working alright.

The plants where the green stuff is most widespread are the ones that,
generally speaking, show poorer growth. So it's not just that the
green stuff is unsightly, but it does seem to correlate (negatively)
with observed growth.

I've read about damping off. The only picture I've seen of this
problem showed plants that had totally collapsed (and no accompanying
green coloration, btw). Our plants may exhibit stunted growth, but
they are still standing.

I should note, too, that the veggies, which we planted in slightly
larger pots and less perlite in the potting mix, seem to be escaping
this problem and look pretty good. This may or may not help.

If I have to throw away the plants with the "green infestation",
that's alright. I won't be disheartened (I'm taking this as a learning
experience). But I just don't want to over-react and destroy plants
unless that's necessary.

The other bit of information I may add is I'm using fish emulsion as a
nutrient. Just following the instructions in the bottle for that. It's
pretty smelly stuff, but if plants like it, what the heck....

So, again, if anybody knows about greenish discolorations in
seedlings, please help! Perhaps I should add that the green color is
all in the soil, but especially on the perlite rocks, for some reason.

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
It would be helpful to know what kind of seedlings you are growing,
and where you are attempting to grow them. If you are growing seeds
from a seed packet, follow the directions carefully. The condition
"damping off" is probably the biggest concern for growing most
seedlings. Air circulation and some brief morning sun generally
helps for many seedlings.