Old 06-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Did I do something wrong to my seedlings?

"Elias Quinn" . wrote in message

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
Hi group,
I am new to this gardening thing and it appears I may have done

something
wrong. Several weeks ago I started some seeds indoors, as I'm in zone 5

and
still getting frost at night. All of my seedlings are up but some are
getting very long and leggy looking. Some of them are starting to droop

and
fold-over. Are they supposed to be this way? If not, what did I do

wrong?
Anything I can do to correct the problem?

The seedlings are brocolli, brussels sprouts and various kinds of

lettuce.

Thanks in advance for advice and/or comments.

Brigitte

Your seedlings are starving for sunlight. Is there any way you can take
them outside during the day?

Hi Elias,
Thanks for your quick response. Per your suggestion, I've put them all
outside. I'm doing this gardening thing this year with a friend who has
been putting her seedlings outdoors during the day, but it seems she's
having the same "leggy" problems I'm having. Is there something else we can
do to get them to recover? I have 2 seedlings per cell in the peat cells.
Would thinning them to one seedling per cell help? We were planning on
thinning them when we put them into the ground, so that we could utilize
both plants, but if we're sacrificing them for the sake of frugalness, that
would be a waste of time and energy, I suppose. Let me know your opinion on
this 2 per cell dilemma.

Thanks again,
Brigitte