Old 06-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Matt

Default Did I do something wrong to my seedlings?

Brigitte, it sounds as though your seedlings are simply starving for light.
They are "leggy" because they are putting their energy into getting
closer/more light. If you supply them with more light, then they will stop
"reaching". What type of light are you using? You really need some type of
HID lighting for indoor growing. But you can get by with flouro's as long
as you keep the flouro bulbs within an inch or so of the tops of your
plants. As a rule of thumb, I try to supply 50 watts of light per square
foot of growing space, ie, if you are trying to grow items indoors in a
2'x4' space, I would use 400watts of light. (8sq.ft * 50w/per = 400w)

If your plants get too leggy, they will fall over when they start growing,
or placed outside. In order to strengthen the stems, place an oscillating
fan near your plants on a low setting. This will simulate the natural
occuring gentle blowing winds outside. After a few weeks, the stems will be
nice and strong, ready to take on the great outdoors.
good luck,
Matt

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
Hi group,
I am new to this gardening thing and it appears I may have done something
wrong. Several weeks ago I started some seeds indoors, as I'm in zone 5

and
still getting frost at night. All of my seedlings are up but some are
getting very long and leggy looking. Some of them are starting to droop

and
fold-over. Are they supposed to be this way? If not, what did I do

wrong?
Anything I can do to correct the problem?

The seedlings are brocolli, brussels sprouts and various kinds of lettuce.

Thanks in advance for advice and/or comments.

Brigitte