Old 06-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Babberney

Default How far from house to plant trees?

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:17:29 -0400, wrote:

Isn't 2 times the mature canopy for a dogwood is 40'-50' away! Maybe
along the very back of yard right up against the fence.
I would agree that 3' is too close, but no trees even small ones
within 40' seems like too far away. Can this be correct?

Swyck

I agree that roots may extend well beyond the reach of branches, but I
see no need to put a small tree like j. maple or cherry so far as 40'.
I'd say most of these trees reach a mature spread of 10'-15', so maybe
6'-8' from house would be a minimum. You could probably get away with
closer (I also agree it won't do any significant foundation damage)
but you'd get a far less attractive tree in the end, since it would
develop distorted form. Also remember that most j. maples need a
certain amount of shade or they will be sunburned all the time and
will never thrive (but you can find sun-tolerant varieties if needed).

good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/