Old 06-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Vox Humana

Default Tall Flowers that grow in the shade?

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I want to plant more flowers, and I have a shaded area at the front of my
property that could really use some color. Are there any tall flowers out
there that thrive in the shade? Do Cannas only do well in full sun? Even
flowering hedges would do if they're nice and colorful Any suggestions?

Cannas grow best in sun, but they will grow just about anywhere and are
inexpensive. I gave some to a neighbor (if you grow cannas, sooner or later
you will be giving them away!) instructing them to plant them in full sun.
They planted them on the north side of their house, which was shaded by a
large tree. The cannas grew surprisingly well and bloomed well. You might
buy a few rhizomes and give it a try. Here is a picture of a row of cannas
that I planted on the edge of the woods on the north side of my house. It
only got sun in the late afternoon.
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...oto&PhotoID=84