Old 06-04-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Question related to Gro-Bags

On 01 Apr 2004 15:07:03 GMT, clive
wrote:

Hi,
Does anybody know what's in a gro-bag? I used to see these things some
years ago in the UK but they don't seem to be available here in France. I
want to grow tomatoes on my balcony - what should I grow them in? Would a
bag of compost slit down the back do the trick or should I add something to
the compost?

Sure, lots of people do this. My guess would be that the
compost would supply everything the plants need - I have
often planted directly in spent-mushroom-soil (mushroom
compost, that is) and everything thrives (except carrots -
it's got too much nitrogen for carrots, I believe).

But I don't know about tomatoes: they're awfully big plants
and maybe there wouldn't be enough depth for the roots.

OTOH, maybe they don't get nearly as big in the UK as they
do here b/c of your cooler summers.

If I were doing it, and wanted specifically tomatoes, I'd
try to get a smaller variety, Patio Hybrid for instance.

Pat