Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Mutti Pie

Default Rat-tail radishes

Hello,

We have grown these for the last 4 years and aquired them through
Pine Tree. We direct sow Aprilish in a prepared bed (double dug/aged
horse manure) giving a 9" spacing. They have grown 36" - 42" tall and
are "bushy" the top half of the plant. Our bees really enjoy them and
at the farmers market they sell very well for Asian cooking. I like
to just eat them. If you pick them young (depends on variety) they
are fun to toss on salads or to pickle with hot peppers (I like the
Jamacian Mushroom or as they are called in our house "ouchie mama's").

They seem to thrive in clay soil that is low in organic matter as well.
The seeds seem to be very easily saved from year to year.

We like them and I hope you do also!

Sharon
zone 6ish

zxcvbob wrote:
I bought a packet of rat-tail radish seeds. How big do the plants get?
Do I plant them the same time as early spring radishes, or wait until
the ground is warmer and little chance of frost?

Thanks, regards,
Bob