Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Bonnie Punch

Default Small 20' deep by 8' wide patio - suggestions?

You had trouble with Dill? Bummer. :-)

It's not that it didn't grow, it's just that it wasn't worth it. When
one has a very limited amount of space, some things take up too much of
it to be worth the time and effort. I'd get a pot full of corriander or
dill just fine, but one recipe would use up most of my crop ( I cook a
lot). They need a deep pot, to accomodate the tap root, are short lived
compared to other herbs, and generally need a lot more room than
something like basil or oregano - they'll grow in anything.

I just cheat and start out with 4" pots from the nursery! Much less
trouble than seeds. G

One 4" pot of dill when grown will do me for one fish crust or stuffing
for one chicken. When I make a batch of salsa I use a cup full of
chopped corriander. I'd need real space to bother growing it.

Part of the fun of gardening for me is the growing from seed. I'll only
buy a plant if it is propigated by cuttings or division, or can't be
easily grown from seed (if it takes a year to germinate, forget it!).
It's also more economical to grow from seed (6 tomato transplants =
$3.50, one pkg of 25+ seeds= $2-3.), and one can also get rare or
heirloom varities that aren't sold at the garden centre or nursery.

BP