Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Katra

Default Small 20' deep by 8' wide patio - suggestions?

In article ,
Bonnie Punch wrote:

You had trouble with Dill? Bummer. :-)

It's not that it didn't grow, it's just that it wasn't worth it. When
one has a very limited amount of space, some things take up too much of
it to be worth the time and effort. I'd get a pot full of corriander or
dill just fine, but one recipe would use up most of my crop ( I cook a
lot). They need a deep pot, to accomodate the tap root, are short lived
compared to other herbs, and generally need a lot more room than
something like basil or oregano - they'll grow in anything.

Oh I see. :-)

And I know what you mean! Sometimes when I'm going to bake a large fish
with lemon and dill, I'll go ahead and buy some from the store if mine
is not big enough.

I planted more this year. G I have a nice large herb garden on the
west side of the house.

I just cheat and start out with 4" pots from the nursery! Much less
trouble than seeds. G

One 4" pot of dill when grown will do me for one fish crust or stuffing
for one chicken. When I make a batch of salsa I use a cup full of
chopped corriander. I'd need real space to bother growing it.

How big do you let it get? Mine usually gets at least 2 ft. tall.
The 2 four inch pots I bought at the nursery this year have about 6 nice
bushy dill plants in each of them. I'll still probably put in more tho'

I understand what you mean tho'. I also love to cook with fresh herbs
and you can go thru a lot very quickly.

I use more Basil and thyme than anything else, and I've got plenty of
thyme! Just found a new Tarragon plant yesterday as well. That is SO
good with poultry!

Rosemary just gets big all by itself, and a little sage goes a long way.
I finally have some sage now that is wintering over. The dwarf and white
sages are going on their third year this summer. :-)

Part of the fun of gardening for me is the growing from seed. I'll only
buy a plant if it is propigated by cuttings or division, or can't be
easily grown from seed (if it takes a year to germinate, forget it!).
It's also more economical to grow from seed (6 tomato transplants =
$3.50, one pkg of 25+ seeds= $2-3.), and one can also get rare or
heirloom varities that aren't sold at the garden centre or nursery.

BP

All good points, but I don't have the patience!
The only things I grow from seed are string beans, okra, morning glories
and moonvine. ;-) I can usually get a 6 pack of tomato plants at the
garden center for $1.25.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov