Old 06-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Bill Bolle

Default Will using paper for mulch cause mold?

Joseph A. Zupko wrote:

I was thinking on using paper for mulch. I want to bury it about a inch
with dirt to prevent weeds in my veggie garden. Will this cause dangerous
mold growth since its wet and dark under the ground
Thank you

This is a very common practice. I use newspaper quite frequently in
this manner and have never had any problem with mold--in fact, the
only problem you may have is if you sprinkle your garden with a hose
sprinkler, the water may not penetrate the newspaper. If you irrigate
your plants this is not much of a problem. The newspaper will act
pretty much like any other organic mulch and the inks used, for the
most part, are no longer metallic based but are soy based. Do not use
the "glossy" paper that comes with the weekly "ads" section of the paper.
Bill